After the longest opening day in Major League Baseball history, the Indians and Blue Jays will continue opening weekend today at 1:05pm when Ubaldo Jimenez takes the mound for the Indians against Brandon Morrow and the rest of the Jays. Ubaldo Jimenez is currently appealing a suspension after throwing a pitch at former teammate Troy Tulowitzki during spring training. Jimenez is frequently clocked over 100mph and is regarded as the hardest throwing pitcher in the majors, averaging an MLB best 96.1 mph in 2009 and 2010. His tailing 2-seamer and forkball have earned him a 54.4% ground ball percentage. He has thrown the only no-hitter in Colorado Rockies franchise history.
Brandon Morrow was 11-11 in 2011, making 30 starts for the first time in his career. He started last season on the disabled list but is healthy and ready to go to start 2012. Despite his .500 record last year, Morrow was decent on the road going 6-3 with a 3.07 ERA. He was 0-1 in two starts against the tribe last season and sports a career 5.28 ERA against the team from Cleveland.
The two teams pick up after an a much needed day off, resting from their 16-inning opening day marathon. The Blue Jays are trying to ride their spring time momentum that was perpetuated by co-heros Edwin Encarnacion and JP Arencibia on Thursday afternoon. Every member of the Blue Jays bullpen was used, and both starting catchers caught the entire game.
- Despite going 3 for 4 with a home run in the opener, don’t count on Jose Bautista keeping up his .750 season average. Bautista is 0 for 9 in his career against Jimenez.
- Indians 3B Jack Hannahan is 1 for 7 in his career against Brandon Morrow.
- The entire Blue Jays bullpen combined for 11 scoreless innings Thursday afternoon.
- Prior to Thursday’s game, Brett Lawrie had never faced the Indians in his major league career.
- In 11 games as an American League pitcher since July 31, 2011; Ubaldo Jimenez is 4-4 with a 5.10 ERA
Cleveland Indians (0-1)
- Brantley, M – CF (.167)
- Cabrera, A – SS (.143)
- Choo, S – RF (.250)
- Santana, C – C (.000)
- Hafner, T – DH (.250)
- Duncan, S – LF (.500)
- Kotchman, C – 1B (.000)
- Kipnis, J -2B (.000)
- Hannahan, J – 3B (.333)
RHP – Ubaldo Jimenez (2011 – 10-13 4.68 ERA)
Toronto Blue Jays (1-0)
- Escobar, Y – SS (.250)
- Johnson, K – 2B (.200)
- Bautista, J – RF (.750)
- Lind, A – 1B (.333)
- Encarnacion, E – DH (.286)
- Lawrie, B – 3B (.000)
- Thames, E – LF (.000)
- Arencibia, J – C (.143)
- Rasmus, C – CF (.000)
RHP – Brandon Morrow (2011 – 11-11 4.72 ERA)